Thursday, May 04, 2006

Paranoid Somnambuloid

I woke up this morning and checked my email, only to find something that disheartened me greatly. My singer friend that I've been gigging with sent out an email to announce a gig next Thursday featuring herself as part of a jazz trio. This had been a quasi-regular gig with a regular group we built together out of my friends from school, but suddenly, unaccountably, she had chosen another pianist. I am a calm, not-so-jealous type of person, so I resisted the urge to send her a confrontational email; I even resisted the urge to have a crummy day. But, on some level, it hurt nonetheless.

"But hey," I told myself, "it's not a big deal. You have other gigs. You have a great paying gig with a great trio coming up this Friday, and another one next Thursday, and..."

"...next Thursday...?"

Suddenly I remembered that I had been offered the very gig in question, and had had to turn it down because of a conflicting job.

(Oh, snap.)

How steeply inclined we can be to turn our perceptions of the world against us! This was a great reminder that my friends are friends for real, and that the world is not really out to get me.

: )

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Finally, I get a comment! Everyone else has like 5! I just figured I was ugly and everybody hated me..."

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home